Advice For Tenants

Moving to a new property is exciting and we want to make sure you get settled in smoothly and as quickly as possible. If we haven’t covered something or you require more information, then please don’t hesitate to call us on 01274 745 885.


Before Your Tenancy

Full time students do not pay council tax. If you are a professional or part-time student, then you can check how much tax you’ll need to pay here.

If you use a laptop (or any other device) to: watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service; to download or watch BBC programmes on demand including catch-up TV on BBC iPlayer, then by law, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. Purchase a license here or call 0300 790 6131.

We recommend that all tenants purchase their own contents insurance. However, the property you will live in is insured as a building to the legal requirements of the United Kingdom.

How to keep your property safe:
While you are away from home, it is important to keep your property secure and your contents safe. Insuring possessions of value is a great idea, but here are some more practical tips to help keep your contents safe while you are away:

  1. Check all windows and doors are locked, as well as curtains drawn before leaving.
  2. Do not post specific holiday dates on social media as this could inform others when your property will be empty.
  3. Take any costly possessions with you or leave them with a trusted friend.
  4. If you are away for a long period, you could put your expensive items into storage.
  5. Automatic timer switches can be bought from most DIY shops & give the illusion that someone is in. Set a timer to turn a lamp on during the evening while you’re away.
  6. Unplug all of your appliances to protect them from power surges as well as wasted electricity.
  7. Check all of your taps are turned off.
  8. Just before you leave your home, spare a few minutes to walk around your home and double check everything is safe and secure.

Please visit our Online Maintenance Office here, where there is a step-by-step guide on how to report an issue and our Maintenance Team will resolve as soon as possible.

If you are locked out of your property you can call our emergency number (provided on your tenancy agreement), but you will be required to pay the call-out charge when our engineer lets you in.

On signing the Tenancy Agreement we will require the following:

  • Identification: Passport (+BRP/VISA). If you don’t have a passport we can accept a UK driver’s licence and birth certificate.
  • A proof of address: Official letters which show your address for the last three years. These letters must have your name and full address on the letter head (e.g. bank statement or utility bill).
  • Proof of employment/education: If you’re a professional you’ll need to provide a copy of your employment contract or a written reference from your line manager/HR. We will also contact them by phone to confirm employment. If you’re a student you must provide your student ID card or acceptance letter to the University (Student ID must be in date during tenancy).
  • Bank account: Information of your UK bank account from which you’ll pay your rent.
  • Guarantor: Information of a UK homeowner who will act as your guarantor.

You should call 101 and ask for the police. Request a crime reference number and notify us of the incident.

Once you have signed a tenancy agreement you cannot break the contract. However, in exceptional circumstances we might be able to help you end the contract sooner. Please contact us for further details.

Visit Drivers Licence to update your address online.
Visit HMRC to update your address online.

Useful Contacts

Compare listings